Thursday, March 8, 2012

Pleading or Praising?

During this season of Lent, I'm reading through the Gospels. I wanted to get a good sense of Jesus' entire life and how it led him ultimately to the cross, as a way to prepare my heart for the celebration of his resurrection. I'm not moving as quickly as I need to be to get in all four books, but the Lord is certainly using this time in His Word to teach me, so if that means I don't get through all of them, so be it. But, I'm going to try.

At any rate, I wanted to blog about something the Lord really impressed upon my heart today. It starts with a question: Am I pleading with God, or am I praising Him?

(After hearing that Jesus cast out demons) "Then the whole town went out to meet Jesus. And when they saw him, they pleaded with him to leave their region." (Matthew 8:34)

"When the crowd saw this, they were filled with awe; and they praised God, who had given such authority to men." (Matthew 9:8)

I realize these were two different groups of people in these two passages, but isn't that really the same for our world today? We're really divided by two different groups: those who accept Jesus and those who reject Him. We either angrily plead with Him to leave, or we eagerly praise Him for coming. Which one of these categories do I fall in? Do I find myself pleading with Him to do something else when I don't like the way things are going and I don't understand why He's working in the way that He is, or do I find myself praising Him for being present, trusting in the way He is working?

"Lord, help me to welcome your ways so that my life can bring glory to your name."

No comments:

Post a Comment